SELECTION of New Executive Director and
Walk Bike Tampa’s mission is to build a more walkable, bikeable, livable Tampa.
For more information, please visit Walk Bike Tampa’s website at http://www.walkbiketampa.org/ and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
The Board of Directors supports the work of Walk Bike Tampa and provides mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Walk Bike Tampa’s Executive Director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
The Board of Directors is made up of between three and 15 members. Officers consist of the President, Vice President, Secretary, and Treasurer. Walk Bike Tampa Board Members will serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term. Board meetings will be held quarterly and committee meetings will be held in coordination with full board meetings. Each Board member has one vote and is required to attend all Board meetings.
Officers and Directors have specific duties. At the present moment, we are seeking an Executive Director, President, and Vice President. The duties of the President and Vice President are listed below. Please see the separate announcement for the part-time Executive Director. We are also seeking at-large Directors.
· Oversees board meetings
· Works in partnership with the ED to make sure board resolutions are carried out
· Calls special meetings if necessary
· Appoints all committee chairs, and with the ED, recommends who will serve on committees
· Assists ED in preparing agenda for board meetings
· Assists ED in conducting new board member orientation
· Oversees searches for a new ED
· Coordinates ED's annual performance evaluation
· Works with the governance committee to recruit new board members
· Acts as an alternate spokesperson for the organization
· Periodically consults with board members on their roles and helps them assess their performance
· Attend all board meetings
· Serve on the executive committee if one exists
· Carry out special assignments as requested by the board president
· Understand the responsibilities of the board president and be able to perform these duties in the president’s absence
· Participate as a vital part of the board leadership
· If willing, ascend to the office of board president upon completion of the board president’s term of office
Director (up to 10 positions available in 2018)
There are no specific corporate duties spelled out for Directors but a Director is expected to attend and participate at all board meetings. A Director's vote holds the same weight as an Officer's vote.
Walk Bike Tampa Board Members will consider Walk Bike Tampa a philanthropic priority and make annual gifts that reflect that priority. So that Walk Bike Tampa can credibly solicit contributions from foundations, organizations, and individuals, board members must commit to an annual contribution of and/or raise funds in the amount of $500-$2500 or a monthly contribution of five hours of time.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for individuals who are passionate about Walk Bike Tampa’s mission and who have a track record of board leadership. Selected Board Members will have achieved leadership stature in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector. Experience in the planning, engineering, or transportation sectors is a plus. Their accomplishments will allow them to attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
· Extensive professional or volunteer experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, or the nonprofit sector
· A commitment to and understanding of Walk Bike Tampa’s stake-holders, preferably based on experience
· Savvy diplomatic skills and a natural affinity for cultivating relationships and persuading, convening, facilitating, and building consensus among diverse individuals
· Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a passion for improving the lives of Tampa residents
· Social media skills
Service on Walk Bike Tampa’s Board of Directors is without remuneration, except for administrative support, travel, and accommodation costs in relation to Board Members’ duties.
If you would like to nominate yourself for one of the open Board positions, please consider joining WBT now. Click walkbiketampa.org to join if you are not already a member. Then please submit information about yourself and your qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org by July 20th to be considered for a position.
Selections of new Board members will be made by the current Board.
Walk Bike Tampa is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization.